My baby is three today. He’s grown so much in the last couple months – really gaining his independence, talking up a storm, and he’s no longer a baby, or a toddler, he’s a preschooler!
I dropped him off, and he gave hugs and kisses to Joey and I and went off to play. He didn’t cry or cling.. he’s all grown up! He was so proud of his new backpack (a hand-me down from cousin Aiden), and wouldn’t let go of his ice age characters from his birthday party this weekend.
There are so many things about Avery that I just want to bottle up and save forever because I know he will continue to change and grow. But for now, here are a few things I’d like to store away and look back on someday…
Things ‘I can do myself’ :
- Put on & Take off my shoes. I’m working on taking off my socks, but since I demand to wear big long white sox like Grampy that practically go up to my knees, I get too frustrated before I can pull them off completely.
- Sing the ABCs. I like to sing when putting the alphabet puzzle together with Mommy and when Mommy asks me to read anything, I recite the ABCs.
- Use the Potty. I’m ALMOST potty trained… I just have to remember to tell Mommy I need to go, BEFORE I go. I can pull my pants down and use the step stool to get to the potty myself! Oh and I stand up like big boys do ;)
Avery was sooo excited when we went shopping for big boy pants – he took them out of the bag and laid them all out like this, silly kid!
- Wash My Hands. If Mommy asks me to wash my hands before dinner, I can go into the bathroom, turn on the light, pull up the step stool, turn on the water, get the soap and wash my hands, and put everything back.
- Count to Thirteen. I can count very high, but after 13, I tend to go back down to 8.
- Ride a Trike and my Bike with Training Wheels. My favorite time to ride my bike is when we are visiting Great Grandma & Grandpa.
- Pick Clothes Out of My Dresser. Mommy can ask me to go pick out clothes and I can get them all by myself. Sometimes I come back with Pajamas or long shirts and I have to make a second trip, but I am learning!
Avery’s favorite things change pretty often now. He has a short attention span and moves from one activity to another after a few minutes, and he could like one food today and hate it tomorrow. But here are a few consistent favorites…
- Fruit: Strawberries & Apples
- Meat: Sausage & Hotdogs
- Vegetable: Corn on the Cob
- Meal: Tacos or Spaghetti
- Books: Thomas book from Sarah T
- Candy: Jelly Beans & Sour Patch Kids
- Snack: Popcorn & Fruit Gummies
- Songs: There’s a Hole in My Bucket, Rain Rain Go Away, and the commercial song ‘I’m a Big Kid Now’
- Color: Blue! or Red, or Green, depending on the day, haha.
- Movie: The Elephant Movie (Ice Age)
- Outdoor Activity: Riding his new tractor, playing in the garden, playing in the garage
- Indoor Activity: Thomas Trains, Cars, Play Doh
There are some quirky, distinct, and particular things we do every day that not many people know about but Avery never lets me forget and reminds me if we don’t do them.
- When I pick Avery up from school, he likes to wear his (heavy and full) backpack outside to ‘Show my kids’ (classmates) as he says, because he is ‘Big and strong’ and ‘Im a Superman!’
- When Avery says goodbye or goodnight to Mimi, she gets 2 Kisses and 1 hug… every time!
- Avery gets the mail every day after school. He sits in my lap in the car at the mailbox, reads off the mailbox numbers, gets the mail out and brings it in the house.
- When we go for walks, on our way back, Avery races us by going down Tom’s driveway (the neighbor, which runs next to ours) and beats us home.
- We get jelly beans every day after school at Joey’s work
- We stop and look at the ‘broken house’ every day (It’s a house they are building, but Avery has called it the broken house, haha)
Oh Avery. Words to describe this kiddo… Energetic, loving, caring, fearless, stubborn, persistent, determined, athletic, clever, daring, polite, bold, handsome, entertaining, bright, confident, curious, thoughtful, happy, and healthy.
Avery has his 3 year check up on Wednesday, I’ll be back to give his stats after that, and post pictures and video from Avery’s birthday party!