As new homeowners of a house that needs a
little lot of TLC, there is ALWAYS a project to be done. Before we even moved in, the house got a good cleaning, we renovated the kitchen and painted most of the rooms (Bedroom, Hallway, ..etc.). When that was done, we were thrilled! But the excitement doesn’t last long when you realize the other looming projects ahead of you…especially when you walk by them every day. It’s like the chipped paint on the window frame in the dining room is calling to me… ‘paint me! It’ll only take a few mintues’…
Among the various projects we’ve completed on our (always growing) Honey-Do-List, is our bathroom. Every time I step foot into it, I’m reminded of how much I want to remodel it.
Eeek! I know, I know… it’s screaming for attention. However, that attention requires a design, and money to make that design happen. We’ve just about busted through all our funds for home renovation for the year – so we’re saving this beauty for next year. Or maybe this winter? So that leaves me approximately 6 months to figure out what the heck we’re gonna do with this mess…
- Budget: $2-5K(ish).
- Keeping: Toilet (it’s pretty new)
- Demo: The icky tile, tub, & vanity?
- New: 3 piece tub & vanity (we might be able to refinish it?), paint, flooring, medicine cabinet?
- Time Frame: Long weekend?
I have a few ideas that I’ve been playing with… I’ll share and hopefully I’ll get some awesome feedback so I can start planning the remodel…
1. Space & Storage. This is a small bathroom! Captain obvious here, you definitely can’t tell that from the picture. The bathroom is probably 5ft. x 7ft and contains a shower/tub, sink, and toilet. Yup, we only have room for the essentials! So I know we need to come up with some creative space saving solutions. We do have a linen closet just outside the hallway for all the towels, so we just need room for the every day essentials – a place for our tooth brushes, towels, hand towels, somewhere to plug in my hair dryer, storage for makeup, cologne, you know… basic stuff. (Oh and I should add that this is the ONLY bathroom in the house!) Here’s a couple cool storage solutions I like…
- A Shallow Sink: more room in front of sink
Photo courtesy of Ikea.com
- Open Shelving: storage solution, but visually open/clean.
Photo courtesy of Signroom.com
- Floating Sink: more floor space gives the illusion of a bigger area
Photo courtesy of Housetweaking.com
2. Light & Air. In addition to it being a small space, there is no link to the outside. No window. We have a light in the center of the ceiling that has a fan. I’m pretty sure the fan sucks – well, doesn’t suck (Haha, I’m so funny). I don’t think the ventilation in the room is great, which is scary because we don’t want mildew where Avery plays with his rubber ducky. Plus, there’s no natural light, and the light we have I swear is rigged, because I put makeup on and think I look great, then I get to work and use one of their stark-white bathrooms and boom – splochy! So maybe that’s not just a lighting issue, but room color too….
3. Color. Because this is a small space, I have to be careful with color…. I don’t want it too look smaller or dominate the space. So I was thinking about wainscoting – which would be white and I could put a warm or bold color above. But maybe it’s too traditional? Or what about stripes or stencil pattern?
Photo courtesy of Involvingcolor.com
Photo courtesy of Adetailedhouse.com
Photo courtes of Adetailedhouse.com
Next? I’ll put together a few possible floor plans & concept boards of some options…
Any suggestions? Or maybe you can point me to a bathroom that you’ve remodeled or love? Please share links!